Username: Password:    

Enter your search criteria here:

Advanced Search

Sponsors
Please support the DeuceAce sponsors!

Please use our links to download

A number of our regular freerolls require that you have downloaded through DeuceAce

Thanks for your support!

DeuceAce Poker Discussion Forums > Poker Articles And Reviews > Poker Articles » Poker mistakes you need to avoid

DeuceAce Forums  
Old 03-13-2006, 07:25 PM #1

p-3

Poker mistakes you need to avoid

One of the biggest poker mistakes that inexperienced and poor players make is calling when they have bad hands. The thinking goes like this: “Well I’ve got a Queen, 7 so if I get a Queen on the flop I should be winning and if I get a Queen and a 7 I’m bound to take down a big hand.”

I’ve got a piece of solid advice for players like this, WAKE UP!!!

Stop dreaming and start concentrating on reality. You will NOT win a big pot with a Queen, 7. OK you might if you get lucky, are extremely aggressive or the other players happen to have even worse hands than you but in the main it will just not happen. By the way I’m only taking this hand as an example, there are dozens of equally bad hands that you should throw away to avoid major poker mistakes.

Say for example you’re at a ten player tournament table. If you are in early position with your Q 7 and you call, you have just about guaranteed that you’ve lost your money. What if somebody after you raises? Do you think that Q 7 is going to be winning? If you’ve any sense then you fold, unless you have a read on the raiser and re-raise him to try and force him out of the hand, which is obviously a very dangerous play.

But say you are stubborn or extremely curious and you need to get a look at the flop. Anything other than a Queen and you are struggling big time. What if the flop comes 4 9 J all different suits? Where do you see yourself? The other guy has raised so the chances are he might have an Ace or King or a pair, he’s unlikely to have raised with a worse hand than you have. You are now in a position where all you can hope for is to be able to check and see the next card, which itself is also very unlikely as your opponent has raised pre-flop and will probably bet again after the flop.

You will need to throw in your cards or pay even more to try and catch a Queen on the turn or river.
And if the flop had been something like A 7 3, you would have to fold to any bet as they would be representing the Ace even if they didn’t have one.

So stop calling with hands like Queen 7, or indeed Jack 5 or 10 8, especially in big tables of 8 – 10 players and even more especially in early position in the hand. If you play these hands when you are in the dealer position or the blinds then you have a chance to limp in and get lucky, but you MUST fold them in early position.

If you don’t you will be bled dry by the blinds. All these little $20 and $30 calls you make soon add up and leave you with less money to play with when you do get a decent hand.
So avoid big poker mistakes and fold your rubbish hands!

Article by Ian McIntosh of www.Love-Texas-Holdem.com. Check out the site for all the latest information on Texas Holdem tournaments and freerolls. Please feel free to use this article as long as there is a live link to the site and this box is left intact.

Report Post
Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 PM #2

mason

I gotta say...a lot of these articles either offer wrong or partial advice. Take articles from novice players and use them as a guidelines only. There are times when you should be calling with hands like Q7 or 8 10

Report Post
Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM #3

Cobalt

What about heads-up? Queen-7 is a perfectly legitimate hand to call with in this situation and I've seen many a game won on the back of a so-called bad hand.

Although I agree that in the early stages, it is not a good enough hand to take forward, in the later stages of a game it isn't a bad starting hand at all. Early on with so many limping in, anyone could catch anything - that includes you and everyone else on the table, so you should play such a hand with care and get out if something comes up on the board which may have made somebody a big hand.

At the end of the day, it's not a great hand but it is far from a bad hand and in late position or comign into the heads up stage then there is often valid grounds for taking the hand forward, if only to see the flop. I don't advise putting much money into the pot on the back of those aforementioned hands, but I would happily see the flop.

Report Post
Old 03-14-2006, 04:54 PM #4

p-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason
I gotta say...a lot of these articles either offer wrong or partial advice. Take articles from novice players and use them as a guidelines only. There are times when you should be calling with hands like Q7 or 8 10
Mason why dont you throw more light and write better articles?

Report Post
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM #5

mason

I choose to answer individual questions on specific topics rather than write about general sweeping declarations.

And...

A good article should take a long time to write...I'm in fact always writing a few in my head...just need to type 'em out someday.

Report Post
Old 03-15-2006, 08:14 PM #6

cochise

I agree that this article is a little misleading. Queen 7 is not the best hand but it can and has been played. You can play this hand as long as you understand to win you are probably going to have to bluff at the pot at some point. He is right that in a big table, you will probably have to get lucky to win against a better hand...but I have played it before and won.

But overall mason, I think this is good advice to rookie players...they should start out playing only the best hands and getting used to the game before trying out everything else. And of course playing off the button.

Report Post
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM #7

Cobalt

Then again, beginners need to also learn to mix play up a little. It's all well and good playing tight, mathematical poker, but you aren't going to win much at all doing this.

Personally, I see people like that and I'll steal their blinds time and time again. They stay in the hand, unless I've got a good hand, I'll just back down. Predictability is suicidal to an extent, so I wouldn't get too much into the habit of saying I will only play high pocket pairs.

I always think of it this way - is my hand good? If not, is it cheap to see the flop where it all may change? If the answers still no, I'll back down.

If I can see 3 free cards for next to nothing, though, I will do it - I think that beginners should get into the habit of this as well. Poker is about experience, about thinking about your hand and others - not considering how a hand may pan out is seriously limiting the way you play and won't do you any favours in the long run.

The advice isn't bad, it's just of limited scope, were all just adding to it

Report Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM #8

MartinSiz

DeuceAce Poker Discussion Forums - Reply to Topic ----------------------------------------- www.deuceace.com. ! 50% 990 .! ========================================= [img][/img] ! . ----------------------------------------- ----------------- ========================================= ========================================= -----------------------------------------

Report Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM #9

MartinSiz

DeuceAce Poker Discussion Forums - Reply to Topic ----------------------------------------- www.deuceace.com. ! 50% 990 .! ========================================= [img][/img] ! . ----------------------------------------- ----------------- ========================================= ========================================= -----------------------------------------

Report Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 PM #10

MartinSiz

Report Post